It's Mommy Time

One Mommy, Two Daughters, Zero Time

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Everyone Loves a Good Routine

Before we had children, one of the pieces of advice that we heard most frequently was “children love routine.” So far, we’ve found that to be 100% true with Hailey. Our daily routine means that she gets enough naps, eats regularly, goes to bed painlessly at a normal hour, and wakes up at about the same time we do. Unfortunately, with the number of visitors that we’ve had at our house in the last month, Hailey’s routine is often interrupted on the weekends. She sometimes gets one nap instead of two, eats later than usual, and/or is up until well past 10pm. But, the truth of the matter is that she adjusts fairly well. Sure there’s a little crankiness here or there, but in general, that crankiness is coming from me, not Hailey!

It’s true. I love our routine. Life is so much easier when we are all in sync. Now that Luke works a regular schedule, he’s home with us in the evenings. It’s great to do things as a family, even if that just includes making dinner, cleaning up, and playing with Hailey before bedtime. It’s funny how less stressful life became when I started thinking and planning ahead. Now our dinner menu for the week is prepared and posted by Sunday. The groceries are purchased for each week in one batch (hopefully), lunches are prepared the night before, and the kitchen is cleaned every night after dinner. Having life this routinized takes some time, patience, and sacrifices, but I think that the payoff is huge. I’m trying not to let life get too monotonous, to not schedule everything, to leave room for spontaneity. That part is more of a struggle for me than creating and maintaining a routine. But, we’ll find the right balance. Slowly but surely, I think we’ll figure it out.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:17 AM , Anonymous peter said...

    I understand completely! You know me...if I don't have a "system" for everything, I go nuts! Right now the house is absolutely a mess. Nothing is where it should be because they're coming to start floor installation tomorrow, and I am going bonkers. I can't wait to get all the furniture back in and all of the "stuff" back in the furniture! I think you have reached an idyllic period, and everything should be wonderful. Be careful, though, as things change rapidly. Don't be like your father whose life is thrown into chaos if there is the slightest variation to the norm. Believe it or not, I've grown to embrace change, but I have to work at it and remind myself that it's good! So...Enjoy these routines, be adaptable, and get ready for everything to change just when you get comfortable. That's life, sweetie. Remember the only thing that doesn't change is this truth: "Things change."

    Love you and miss you guys,
    Dad

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home