It's Mommy Time

One Mommy, Two Daughters, Zero Time

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Let the Crying Begin

Hailey has quickly gone from being a sweet little baby to a strong-willed toddler in what seems like overnight. Yesterday she discovered how to dip the bubble wand into the bubble mix. She would even hold it up and blow in its general direction. No bubbles, of course, but it’s pretty funny to watch her try. Later, we had a major standoff because it was time to put the bubbles away, and she wanted to keep the bubble wand. When Mommy took it away, there was a bit of a tantrum with much gnashing of the teeth. She’s so dramatic too. She’ll sit and put her little forehead down on the floor so that she’s folded on top of herself while she’s screaming. It’s really killer.

Anyway, she has become overly attached to anything that she’s holding, and it’s impossible to coax things away from her without having a major struggle. I try to be very polite and hold out my hand to ask her to give it to me (instead of grabbing because I don’t want to encourage grabbing). Unfortunately, when she has something she wants, she just locks down the death grip. Sometimes I can make a trade, but most of the time it’s impossible. She’s also grown attached to a blankie which I now have to rip out of her little claws every morning. When did this happen, and how do I make it stop?

3 Comments:

  • At 12:41 PM , Anonymous peter said...

    Oh, you already know the answer: it NEVER really stops. Hailey is a human being, and we ALL will hold on to whatever we want unless faced with a stronger personality and discipline. It takes a lifetime to figure out how to let go and learn what's good and bad for you. I'm STILL learning. She will always want what she wants when she wants it, and you will always be the arbiter of right and wrong...at least until she's off and on her own. And it starts right this second. No, neither you nor Luke get to give in "sometimes." All you have to do is be consistent, strong, and deaf. In the short run, she will cry like crazy. But in the long run, she will respect you and your firmness, and she will learn. Beyond that...I think you will continue to make the right decisions even as you worry about doing everything right...an impossibility, by the way.

    Love,
    Dad

     
  • At 10:01 AM , Anonymous Luke said...

    that's big talk grandpa .. lets see how you react/handle it this weekend!

    lh

     
  • At 7:25 PM , Anonymous ann said...

    Let the fun beginning. I think I speak for all Moms out there when I say: "Welcome to our nightmare."

    You have to look at this in a positive way. Hailey is starting to exhibit her personality. If she is strong willed, maybe that's not such a bad thing. When she's older she won't let people take advantage of her.

    I remember this similar situation. My niece was about 2-3 and I was babysitting her. I took her swimming and when we both turned into prunes I decided that it was time to get out of the pool. Well, my niece would have none of that and started this crying episode that would not end. She was strong willed, but grew up wonderfully.

    But really, you dad is right. Consistency is crucial. And you need to turn a deaf ear. Ignore it. The bigger fuss you make the bigger fuss she'll make. Give in once and you're a goner! As painfully as it is to watch, sometimes you have to let her cry. May the force be with you, my young padowone

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home