It's Mommy Time

One Mommy, Two Daughters, Zero Time

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I Need a Nap; You Need a Nap





By the age of 4, 50% of children will give up their afternoon naps. By the age of 5, about 70% stop napping. Well, Hailey’s a bit ahead of the curve. She’s only 2 (and a half), and she’s given up her nap. I didn’t really realize it until the teachers at school started telling me that she will just lay on her mat for 2 hours every day with her eyes open. She plays with her hair, sings songs to herself, talks, etc, but does not sleep. I protested for a while that she was a fabulous nap taker at home, sometimes sleeping for 3 hours in the afternoon. Well, turns out I’m a big fat liar. She doesn’t necessarily sleep at home. She plays in her bed (now her bunk bed) until I come to get her. She used to sleep really well, and from time to time if she’s been up late, she might sleep a little. However, for the most part, she does not take naps.



Here’s where Mommy panic sets in. I’m not ready for her to give up her nap. That’s the only time on the weekends when I can really attack my “to do” list with reckless abandon. That’s my quiet time, my football time during the season, my Mommy time!!! Ugh. Ok. Stop panicking. The best approach in this situation is denial. She still takes naps. Yup. I’m going to continue to put her down for naps just like normal, if she sleeps fine, if she doesn’t sleep fine. Everyone needs some quiet time in the afternoon, even Mommy.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:48 PM , Anonymous Aunt Nancy in Az said...

    Routine is key.

    She may not nap but keep sending her to her room and tell her to nap... or call it rest time (since she still does it at school... it's routine)

    It's all about routine!

    Good luck,
    Aunt Nancy in AZ

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home